The university was founded on 15 August 1944. The basis for its opening was the resolution of the Council of People's Commissars of the Kazakh SSR No. 457 "On the training of qualified pedagogical personnel from among the Kazakh female youth." Initially, it included three faculties: physics and mathematics, history, language and literature. In 1945, the Faculty of Natural Geography was opened, in 1968: the Faculty of Music and Song. In 1971, the Faculty of Language and Literature was transformed into a Philological Faculty, and the Faculty of History into History and Pedagogy. In 1984, the Faculty of History and Education was divided into the Faculty of History and the Faculty of Preschool Education. After 1954, the question of closing the institute was raised several times, since it allegedly fulfilled its purpose, but the Kazakh SSR authorities decided to keep the university. In 2000, as part of the institute, there were historical-philological and economic faculties, as well as faculties of natural history and educational services. Since 2003, the university has published its own newspaper named Aqtoty. Since 2004, within the framework of the State Program for the Development of Education for 2005–2010, an original quality management system has been introduced at the institute and the transition to a credit system of education, as well as to a two-stage training system "bachelor's - master's", has begun. In the ranking of the National Accreditation Center under the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the university has been ranked second among pedagogical educational institutions since 2006. By the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 805 of 25 December 2018, the Kazakh State Women's Teacher Training University was given the status of National.